Your child's sacramental preparations are necessary for their faith formation. Below, please find details regarding First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation at Saint Kilian Parish.
Questions? Please contact Mary French, Director of Faith Formation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-625-1665 x.2122.
At Saint Kilian Parish, First Communions occur at weekend Masses during the Easter Season. Details for 2020 are forthcoming.
- Parent Meeting - Monday, October 7, 2019 in the Parish Church from 6:15pm to 7:00pm.
- First Reconciliation Prep - Sunday, January 26, 2020 from 2:00pm to 3:30pm or Wednesday, January 29, 2020 from 6:30pm to 8:00pm.
- First Reconciliation Prep for SKPS Students - January 27, 2020 or February 3, 2020 after Monday Mass.
- First Eucharist Prep - Sunday, March 15, 2020 from 2:00pm to 3:30pm or Monday, March 16, 2020 from 6:30pm to 8:00pm.
- First Eucharist Prep for SKPS students will be Monday, March 23, 2020 or Monday, March 30, 2020, after Mass.
- First Reconciliation - February 4, 2020 at 6:30pm or February 11, 2020 at 6:30pm.
- First Eucharist - Saturdays: April 18, 25 and May 2, 2020 at both the 4:00pm and 5:30pm Masses | Sundays: April 19, 26 and May 3, 2020 at both the 10:00am and 12:00pm Masses.
Please contact Mary French at Saint Kilian Parish at 724-625-1665 x. 2122.
At Saint Kilian Parish, the Sacrament of Confirmation occurs for Year 2 students in the Spring, who have completed both Year 1 and Year 2 of Confirmation preparation. The date of Confirmation is usually announced in December or January by the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Parents are emailed once we receive that date. The Rite of Confirmation does not include a Mass and usually lasts 90 minutes or less. Confirmation preparation each year for all students registered for any Year 1 or Year 2 option will include elements of service as well as Catholic encounters, participation in the Jr. Sky youth group, Catholic Vision of Love lessons, and for Year 2 students only, a Confirmation retreat day in the spring. Specific details about programming can be found with the registration options available to these students; Our Faith on Fire! Confirmation or Our Faith on Fire! Summer.
*Note: For more information regarding the sacrament of Confirmation, click here.
Service activities are directed toward performing Corporal Works of Mercy, in fellowship with other volunteers. These works include; feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, sheltering the homeless, visiting the sick, visiting prisoners, burying the dead, giving alms to the poor.
A service element during Confirmation preparation should be completed by students enrolled in both the Year 1 and Year 2 Confirmation Faith Formation programs at Saint Kilian Parish. Students are strongly encouraged to complete at least 2 different service projects or activities each school year. The idea is to 'go out' into the community to serve in some way, alongside other volunteers. All Service Activities should be completed by Easter.
Upon completion of a service event or activity, students should submit the Confirmation Service Form online (click here). Please submit this form for each service activity the student is a part of, including Jr. SKY service projects, within 2 weeks of the event or activity.
There are many options available to you in which you could perform some sort of service. First and foremost, your participation in Jr. SKY can also count for your service time. Look carefully at the various service activities planned through Jr. SKY. If you attend these and participate, you may count each separate Jr. SKY meeting (that completes some sort of service work) as one of your service events. You must still complete and submit an online form for each event. Jr. SKY offers both service and social events. For you to use your participation in Jr. Sky for the service element of the Confirmation program, you MUST participate on a date where a service project is planned and carried out.
Additionally, there are many other ways that you can volunteer and perform service. Suggestions will be emailed to you after registration but you are encouraged and welcome to come up with your own! Check with the Faith Formation offices for clarification on any outside service event if you are not sure that it meets the standards set for Confirmation. Here are some good examples of what would count toward service:
- Rosecrest Assisted Living – spend an hour on Thursdays with residents. Activities are provided
- St. Vincent de Paul, Butler—work in stockroom
- The Lighthouse Foundation – stock supplies
- Kilian Cupboard Fellowship dinners – Prep or serve, signup online
- The Saint Kilian Fish Fry – MANY opportunities to volunteer
- The Saint Kilian Parish School Celtic Way 5K in the fall has 3 days where volunteers are needed
- Family Fun Day for special needs families, put on by Cranberry Township
- Special Olympics volunteer
Catholic Encounters are events or devotions that bring you into the life of the Church. As you approach your Confirmation, it is important to become a member of your Catholic community and contribute in some way to the Body of Christ. The purpose of this element of Confirmation preparation is to bring you into contact with the various ways that we express our Faith as Catholics, through traditions, devotions, sacramentals, and more. The ways in which you can complete this element of the program are numerous and are not limited to what happens here at our parish.
Upon completion of a Catholic Encounter, students should submit the Confirmation Catholic Encounter Form online (click here). Please submit this form for EACH encounter the student attends or takes part in within 2 weeks of that activity.
Year 1 and Year 2 Confirmation students are encouraged to complete 2 Catholic Encounters by Easter per school year.
The following are some examples of excellent Catholic Encounters, but there are so many more:
- Stations of the Cross
- Visiting a National Shrine or a Basilica
- Attending a Catholic program, workshop, or lecture with a qualified guest speaker
- Visiting travelling relics
- Attending a retreat
- Going on a pilgrimage
- Participation in a healing Mass
- Participation in a group Catholic bible study
- Attending the March for Life with a group
- Visiting the relics at Troy Hill
- Attending a Festival of Praise
- Attending Adoration for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Attend an Ordination ceremony
- Attend a Chrism Mass
- Take a Mission trip
- Join and participate in a prayer group
- Attend "The Silver Ring Thing"
IMPORTANT: Typical participation in the sacraments does not count as an "encounter" for the purposes of the Confirmation program. Examples that do not count include attending weddings, being present at Mass when a Baptism occurs, going to Reconciliation or weekly Mass. Additionally, events that happen as part of the Faith Formation program (ie: Confirmation Day of Reflection/Retreat cannot be used as a Catholic Encounter) do not count toward this requirement. If you have questions or are not sure about whether an activity qualifies as a Catholic Encounter, please contact the Faith Formation office for more information.
Retreat Day for Year 2 Confirmation students is intended to present an opportunity to experience new opportunities grow in faith and devotion to our Lord. Careful planning is involved in laying out the details for a day that includes fellowship, prayer, Reconciliation, Mass, and other devotions. Students will participate in some fun activities as well, all faith related and designed to open their hearts to the graces that God sends their way. Participation in this retreat is included in your registration fee and attendance is strongly encouraged. Those who are unable to attend on our scheduled retreat day must find another suitable confirmation retreat with a different parish in which to participate before the sacrament of Confirmation is administered. This is up to the parents to coordinate and confirm but these alternate arrangements must be approved by the Faith Formation office at Saint Kilian Parish in advance.
Retreat Day for the 2019-2020 school year is TBA - Spring 2020.
- Year 2 Confirmation Parent Meeting - Monday, October 7, 2019 in the Parish Church from 7:15pm to 8:00pm.